Kids & Youth Clubs
Would you like your children to learn to climb?
Have they tried climbing and want to take the next step?
The following diagram gives you an idea of the various routes and options available.
Children normally start with one of the following; A Taster Session, School Activity Day or a Birthday Party. Any one of these will provide a good introduction to climbing and will make them want to come and try it again.
We have many options for children who want to come and take the next step.
Youth Climbing Clubs
Pre Youth Club
If Children have limited climbing experience they start by attending our Pre Youth Club Session. These sessions take place on a Sunday at 1.10pm and are run on a small Instructor ratio (2:1). The aim of these sessions is to teach your child how to tie their knots, how to put on a harness correctly and then how to belay. We normally expect children to attend two or three of these sessions before they are ready to enter the Youth Clubs.
Our Youth Clubs follow a national scheme known as NICAS (National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme). www.NICAS.co.uk
NICAS is a U.K. wide scheme designed to promote climbing development and accredit individual achievement on artificial climbing structures. It can be used as a starting point for people wishing to take up climbing and mountaineering. It is open to all candidates aged 7 and upwards.
Aims Of The Scheme
- to develop climbing movement skills and improve levels of ability.
- to learn climbing rope-work and how to use equipment appropriately.
- to develop risk assessment and risk management skills in the sport.
- to work as a team, communicate with, and trust a climbing partner.
- to provide a structure for development, motivation and improved performance.
- to develop an understanding of the sport, it’s history and future challenges.
- to provide a record of personal achievement.
- to point the way to further disciplines and challenges in climbing beyond the scheme.
Structure Of The Scheme
The Scheme comprises five levels of award aimed at complete novices to expert climbers. The scheme is split into two parts and takes a minimum of 100 hours to complete in its entirety. Part 1 contains Levels 1 and 2 and Part 2 contains Levels 3 to 5. Upon registering with an Awarding Centre candidates receive a log booklet for Levels 1 and 2 and a log binder with booklet for Levels 3 to 5. After achieving each level they are awarded a certificate on behalf of the ABCTT.
The five levels are:
- Foundation Climber: An entry level aimed at novices that recognises their ability to climb safely under supervision.
- Top Rope Climber: Aimed at promoting good practice in climbing and bouldering unsupervised on an artificial wall.
- Technical Climber: A more advanced top roping and bouldering level that focuses on developing technique and movement skills.
- Lead Climber: Concentrates on the skills required to both lead climb and belay a lead climber.
- Advanced Climber: The top level that focuses on improving performance, a deeper understanding of climbing systems and the wider world of climbing.
Our Youth Clubs take place on
10 – 11.30am – Nicas Level 1,2,3
11.30 – 13.00pm – Nicas Level 4-5
10-11.30am – Nicas Level 1,2,3
11.30 – 13.00am – Nicas Level 4-5
These sessions are paid for on a block basis (5 sessions at a time)
Wednesday Evening – 4.30-6pm
Don’t want to commit or unable to make every week? This is the session for you! Our Wednesday evening session is our drop in session. You just pay when you turn up and no commitment is required.
Junior and Youth Squad
For junior climbers who are looking at competing and developing we also have our squads. These are by invitation only. When we feel people are independent climbers and showing commitment and developing as climbers, they will be invited to join our squads. During these sessions we look at different coaching techniques to take them to the next level.
Youth Squad – Over 12’s – Tuesday 6.00 – 8.00pm
Get in Contact with us!
Din's role in the climbing centre focuses on making sure the Kids Clubs are the best they can be. He is the best person to talk to if you have any questions regarding Kids Club or if you want your child to join.
Just email him on email@example.com or call 01769 573380